Saturday, July 01, 2006

Please Don't Take My Someday Away


I flipped open my Boston Globe and found this story, "In Somerville, Someday may be a memory - Regulars at the coffee shop in Davis Square express outrage." Yes, it looks like Someday Cafe, a place near and dear to me and most of my close friends, will be closing its doors in September to make way for Mr. Crepe. I assume it's a place that sells crepes.

This upsets me a lot...I have a lot of memories tied up in that place. It's a classic meeting and hanging out spot, a place that Clare, Melanie, Donna, Mary, Anne, Adam and I shared a cup of coffee or tea whilst hatching one plan or another. There's a regular cast of characters, a set of old but comfortable couches and chairs, and original art on the walls (for sale). The bathroom has graffiti literally from (an on) the floor to (and on) the ceiling. Best of all, though, is the people watching. Students, profs, yuppies, crazies, bums, artists, undefinables and canines converged at Someday in great numbers every morning and afternoon to get their fix.

Maybe this can be averted...I hope so.

In an attempt to get a chuckle, today's quote of the day is a classic from Independence Day: "You know they'll never let you fly the Space Shuttle if you're married to a stripper."

No comments: