Thursday, October 26, 2006

Of Pants and Massacres

A few minutes ago I was reading an article by Paul Street, who writes for NZet, where he has a blog. It was an excellent piece that warned against "Obamania," a reference to a growing affinity for Democratic Senator Barak Obama among progressives. As a real radical (he quotes Eugene V. Debs to make his point), he's not as taken with the young Senator from Illinois. And when I read or listen to left-wing radicals slam the Democratic Party, it starts a schizophrenic debate in my mind. It's the same one that comes up every election. Do I vote for the radical with whom I agree, or the Democrat who is a corporate whore but still infinitely better than Republican?

So I was reading the article. At the same time, the original 1974 The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was playing on FUSE, and I wasn't really watching it but it was on the television. I don't know what FUSE is supposed to be, or more precisely what demographic they are targeting. There seemed to be a lot promos that were clearly trying to make me think that I was watching an "edgy" channel. In the way that a beer commercial is edgy, though. Big corporations flinging tons of money around to encourage young people to be loyal to their brand. So, like every other channel. The movie is over, and a game show called, "The No-Pants Dance-Off" just started.

Yeah, sure, bring it on. I have no will to fight left. Stick it in me.

Perhaps not. I have standards...I'm not just going to sit and take this heinous crap. I'm going to change the channel! Turn it off and read a book? Write a book? Go for a walk? Play with my dolls? No, I can't do that...Adam's Rib is on TCM. It's starting to make sense why I'm such a Milquetoast when it comes to my politics. But c'mon, it's Spencer Tracy and Kate Hepburn, man.

No comments: