Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Of Dr. Who and That Chinese Guy

I just went through some kind of Dr. Who time warp playing Civilization IV. Without regret or any sense of loss, I pissed away 2 hours. Just like that, boink!, gone. The part of the game I enjoyed the most, by far, was waging war on some Chinese guy for absolutely no reason. Every few turn he would ask me, "Isn't it time for this bloodshed to end?" Basically, my response was, "No!" Every time he asked for the madness to stop, I would refuse and attack him with renewed vigor. I imagined him getting increasingly vexed and confused at my pointless aggression. Sort of like how the whole world feels towards Bush. I felt regret when I toppled his last city. I'm sure he died wondering what the hell my problem was.

For those who don't know, Dr. Who was a big show on the BBC. It was about aliens and drugs and time travel. You never knew what was going to happen next. One minute, the protagonist would be running from bipedal, intelligent salamanders and the next minute a floating banana peel would be barking commands. It was enjoyably fucked-up in a way that only British television can be. Civilization IV, for those who don't know, is a video game about world domination, usually played by people who can't balance their check books. It's an incredibly hard game, and the only reason I did so well on my first outing is because I had it set on "retard."

2 comments:

GamerCow said...

Two of my favorite things, Dr. Who and kicking Qin Shi Huang's ass. Only 2 hours? I've missed whole days because of that game. Its a horrible purveyor of "justonemoreturnitis".

And Dr. Who is back, on BBC America and the SciFi channel. Quite good actually.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen the new Dr. Who episodes, but I remember the old ones. Huang got his ass handed to him.