Friday, April 06, 2007

Teeth, Donuts, And The Passing Of An Old Broad

Another favorite establishment of mine will bite the dust this month. La Contessa Bakery, which has been in Davis Square for over 60 years, will close in three weeks. Not too long ago, Verna's Coffee and Donut Shop in Cambridge closed, although I hear it may open up under new management. That place has been around forever, too. I remember dropping in for coffee and a "figure 8" after cleaning some houses with my father every Saturday. La Contessa is set to be closed permanently, and a sushi bar is going to open in it's place.

Just like a fat fuck like me to lament the closing of another donut shop. And I'm still bitter about Someday Cafe. But in the grand scheme one can't get too upset about this sort of thing. Instead, I could choose to get upset about my dentist appointment. My denist, an attractive Russian immigrant named, "Elena" threatened me this morning. She told me that I must stop drinking diet and regular soda. "You can drink only water, coffee, tea, and juice" She told me. "If you don't do what I tell you, none of my efforts will be worthwhile and we may as well pull all your teeth right now and put in dentures." Yow. The Jack Bauer approach to dentistry. So no more Coke for me. Wah.

On the plus side, I got a check in the mail today from Complete Claim Solutions LLC. Apparently, the company that makes mirtazapine (AKA Remeron), an anti-depressant that I was once taking, was sued for anti-trust violations. According to the letter, "The Attorneys General from every state and End Payor Plaintiffs alleged that pharmaceutical companies Organon USA Inc. and Akzo Nobel N.V. improperly monopolized the U.S. market for Remeron® and mirtazapine." The lawsuit resulted in a $36 million settlement and my share is exactly $2.12. The world feels like a fairer place, doesn't it? I'm glad that a group of lawyers whom I never met fought so hard to fix a problem on my behalf. A couple of bucks sounds right. Even though I received a check, I feel somehow violated.

I feel compelled to mention the passing of an outstanding old broad, Isobel Cheney, who died earlier this week at age 99 at the Little Sisters of the Poor Jeanne Jugan Residence in Somerville. She wrote a book about the history of Somerville, and knew more about that city than anyone. I met her in the early '90's, at McIntyre and Moore in Davis Square. I knew someone then who knew her. All we did was acknowledge each other, but I was impressed that she was an author. I always am. She seemed like quite the personality at the time, and judging by her obituary, that impression was justified. I've heard a few stories about her that made me like her, but I haven't heard her name in a long time. I read that she returned from a teaching gig in Germany in 1959 with a white Karmenn Ghia, which is supposed to be some car. It made an impression in working class Somerville. I remember her fighting to get landmark status for the Someville Theatre, too, which it now has.

Bye Isobel, I'm glad I met you.

No comments: