Thursday, July 26, 2007

Land Of Plenty

Finally got around to changing the picture. Now you see Frieda Kahlo's Broken Column, something she painted in the '40's, around the time she was having a lot of surgery on her spine. I was going to post a nude by photographer Milos Sadik, but I couldn't find it. When I do I'll put it up.

It's been a hard month for the fatties. First you have an obese woman played on the Silver Screen by John Travolta in a "fat suit." I don't hold it against him, as it is a strangely common thing these days for a slim actor to do. But it irks me, and I'm not sure why. Then in the last week came word that United HealthCare wants to "reward" clients for living healthy lifestyles. That's sounds super, but what it means is that smokers, the overweight and obese, police officers, rock climbers, etc. (anyone who emerges as a special risk on the actuarial tables) will be charged through the nose. Now this really pisses me off to no end, especially since a lot of people seem to think it's a good idea. On CNN yesterday, one fellow they asked naively spoke about how wonderful it is that financial incentives will exist to make people healthier. This is not a good thing. The government already takes care of the elderly, poor and disabled through Medicare. But that's not enough for America's private insurers. They want to price out anyone they can and cover people who basically only need check-ups and protection against the costs associated with catastrophic illnesses. These HMO's and insurance companies have shown again and again that they are too inefficient and unscrupulous to be allowed to provide such a necessary service. It's yet another indication of how we need national, socialized medicine. If you disagree, I'm sorry, but you're just not paying attention.

I'm most offended, however, by the recent study that refers to obesity as "socially contagious." And I know that I shouldn't be, but I am. It's a large study, and everyone involved with it is reputable. I just can't help seeing the irony of a consumer culture that collectively loathes/mocks those suffering from an eating disorder. We really are a fucked up society. Let's hope our attempts at spreading our "values" around the world fail, because those values indicate that we are 330 million people with myriad mental illnesses that need treating (body dysmorphic and narcissistic personality disorders, to name two). I'll just leave it at that. But it won't be long before insurance companies will want to know how fat your friends are. The letter is in the mail. I can see it now...

Dear Mr. Higginbottom,

Our operatives couldn't help but notice your recent inclination towards socializing with people of generous proportion. As a result, we're going to have to request that you establish monthly appointments with your physician so that we may better monitor wellness trends in your lifestyle. Failure to do so will result in an automatic increase in your premium.

Oh, and the stock market just closed at -300 points or so. And on my birthday, no less! Sweet.

No comments: