Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tunneling and Faking

This week I finally came to terms with my addiction to narcotic pain killers. On Monday and Tuesday of this week I felt sick, as if I were getting influenza, and depression and insomnia were bad. There was also a very disconcerting sensation, like electricity in my muscles, that compelled me to flex and tighten my arms and legs. I was in a ha' penny place, to be sure. But at the time I stupidly didn't make the connection. There was probably some denial going on.

Now that it's Thursday, and I've been without a Vicodin for 4 days, I'm starting to feel better. I'm concerned that I don't see myself as a teetotaler when it comes to narcotics. The idea that I'll never take them again (unless I really need them) is hard to accept. I'm just going to give them a wide berth for awhile, and concentrate on the drugs I'm actually supposed to take. Drug addiction makes a person do things that they would never do otherwise, like faking an injury in an emergency room (yes, I've done that). And then there was the time I tried to tunnel under the local Walgreen's and drill a hole in the floor under the pharmacy. I missed and emerged next to the magazine rack in aisle four. I took a bag of Twizzlers and a Cosmopolitan and moled out.

More as this story develops.

No comments: