Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'll Have A Bottle Of Your Finest Penot

The new picture of the witch on the bottom right is called, Depart pour le Sabbat' and was painted by French artist Albert-Joseph Penot. Apparently, he was popular in French salons at the turn of the last century. I find it mesmerizing, and I'm looking at some of his other works; he was very prolific. It reminds me of Goya's work, with the sharp light/dark contrast (I'm thinking "5th of May" and "Saturn Devouring His Children"), particularly the etchings, of course. The way light almost comes from the subject, like chiarascuro, but the actual source of light is what is being painted.

Keep in mind as you read this that I'm probably an over-educated boob, so I may be inclined to make references to things that I poorly understand. Because of being a boob. That's me...a boob.

A commercial just came on television for a product (a "smooshed" dried fruit, like a roll-up, methinks) called FruitaBu. It really freaked me out. Wow. I'd love to provide the link for it right now, on YouTube or something, but I'm missing My Name is Earl as it is...got to go.

2 comments:

GamerCow said...

The Frutabu commercial is disturbing indeed.

Unknown said...

I can't put my finger on it (that's what she said! hahahaha) but I'm glad I'm not alone. Something about the way the cartoon fruit and monkeys move, and all the talk of "revolution." Jesus Christ.