Friday, September 26, 2008

Rain, World of WarCraft and Matt & Megan Tie The Knot

As I write this little missive from the Front, it is raining steadily outside. This weather is a total delight for me; it feels nice to walk in, there is no annoying sunshine to urge me outside, and the sound of raindrops hitting the green copper roof over the stoop is vaguely sad, and inspires feelings of melancholy and nostalgia in me.

When I was 15ish when I took a mail order writing course. Many an evening was spent hanging over my ancient Royal typewriter. I wrote a lot. Our place in Billerica had, and may still have, a large porch. If it were raining, I would take my Royal outside, onto the porch, with the idea of letting the rain and wind inspire me. It didn't, but the memory of typing away on the porch as the rain fell has stayed with me. Even electro-convulsive therapy didn't kill it.

But enough of the finer things, let's talk about getting a warning from Blizzard Software for calling a McCain supporter some nasty names. To whom did this happen? Me! The transcript of what was said is below. I have it because they put it in my warning. I'm "Kam," for these purposes.

Account Action: 1st Warning
Offenses: Harassment Policy Violation - Inappropriate
This category includes both clear and masked language which:
* Is a mildly inappropriate reference to human anatomy or bodily functions
* Is otherwise considered objectionable

Details (Note - Times are listed in Greenwich Mean Time, GMT):
2008/09/24 23:51:26 (GMT) - X says "GO MCCAIN/PALIN YOUR AWESOME"
2008/09/24 23:51:59 (GMT) - Kam says "What a fucking idiot. The Special Olympics in town?"
2008/09/24 23:53:06 (GMT) - X says "im gong to report you, bye bye asshole"
2008/09/24 23:53:46 (GMT) - Kam says "Now you've sworn, as well. Ha! You can report me all you want, but you're still a cunt, a douchebag, and an asshole. Oh, yes, and a fucking idiot, to boot. Deadly combo."

That's about how it went. I needed to get a warning from World of WarCraft, otherwise I'd be afraid I didn't have a pulse. You either talk about your +4 Frost Damage Mace of the Owl or the last episode of Fringe. Generally, I choose to be silent, but this asshole has a limit, baby!


Before I role away, break on through to the other side and do whatever it is I do, I'd like to congratulate Matt & Megan on their nuptials. The photograph below gives you an idea of how beautiful is Megan, and how adorable and affable is Matt, the most gregarious man I've known since Adam Sulkowski. Our regular readers may remember Adam, who teaches some variation on international business law over at UMass Dartmouth and is featured in some earlier posts. He's too busy for me now, what with the end of the financial world and all.

But I digress. This is the best pairing of human beings since, well, they started doing that. In Megan and Matt you have two people who are actually in love with each other. And they kept looking at each other as if they were the last two people on Earth. Naturally, people getting married love each other, but these two are in love. Generally, being in love causes Hellish problems, because it's only going one way. So many people fall in love with someone who simply refuses to do so in return. Or can't.

But M & M are just wonderful for each other and so clearly in love. The wedding was perfect, elegant and simply spot-on in every detail. Methinks it will mirror the marriage in exquisite harmony.

I'm happy they found each other, and that I could be a part of the wedding in a small way by being there. It was memorable because it is not often that one sees love like this, two people so complimentary of each other in so many ways.

Yes, I'm an romantic. You can be an romantic existential nihilist! It comes from listening to Russian music. Anyway, Cheers M&M!

PS- Megan, I have your dress stored in my closet. I only tried it on once. Well, twice. But that's it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the rain, it's a nice change from the sun. However, I'll take a sunny day over a rainy one, any day.
As for World of Warcraft, I really have no comment. I don't play it, and I think it would actually make me ill to play, because of the graphics.
And, finally, as for Megan and Matt, I totally agree. Being the mother of the bride I suppose I'm prejudiced, but seeing those two together for the past few years, and then on their wedding day, just affirms that they are so right for each other. Megan is a beautiful woman with a heart to match, as is Matty. Welcome, my new son-in-law!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Way to go on WoW! Congrats to your friends getting married. Did you hear about the lawsuit, D?

Ross