Friday, September 02, 2011

In Pain? Try Drugs and Pets!

Today I went to a clinic that specializes in reducing or eliminating chronic pain. There is some sort of nerve damage in my leg that can be quite painful at times. Yada, yada, yada. The amount of pain that people endure is absolutely incredible. And I'm not even talking about emotional pain, which can be as bad or even worse than physical pain. But I don't have to tell you that.

Pain has no purpose. People who find nobility in enduring pain without drugs are the victims of a cosmic gag. I'm all for drugs, let's throw pain in the trash bin. In evolutionary terms, physical pain tells an organism that it needs to engage in the act of self-preservation. To bolt, or fight. The other day, I saw a cat kill a bird in the courtyard just outside my bedroom window. This happens. This is nature. But that bird took a long time to die. And so many humans are in the jaws of a cat of one sort or another, ever fighting. Burn victims, cancer patients, children in Somalia so starved that they start to digest their own stomach. Fuck.

Death is part of life, that makes sense to me. But all this pain is useless...it's just too fucking much. If there is a god, he or she or it is a total asshole for not intervening to stop so much agony. But there is no god, and life exists as it has evolved. Our screams and moans and groans and appeals for mercy go unheard, and just travel ever outward into the universe without so much as an echo. 

All this useless pain. It's a bummer. But here's a video of one of the Four Cats and my dog, Annie!


No comments: