Friday, October 07, 2011

Ennio Morricone

My father, brother and I have always loved the film scores of Ennio Morricone. So far, he has composed more than 500 film scores. Once Upon a Time in the West has always been a favorite in this household. My mother used to watch the movie frequently, partly because it's a fine tale well told, but mostly because of that deeply moving soundtrack.

Morricone was nominated five times for an Academy Award (including one for Days of Heaven, one of my favorite films), but never won, even for The Mission. However, in 2007 he was awarded an Honorary Academy Award by Clint Eastwood. So many "spaghetti westerns" that featured Eastwood owe their success, in large part, to the achingly beautiful music of Morricone.

I've posted three of his scores. The first is from Once Upon a Time in the West, performed live in Venice, Italy.



The second is from his most famous composition, and his self-described favorite, The Mission:



The third is from Cinema Paradiso, a movie that makes me embarrass myself with tears every time I see it.




No comments: