Monday, June 12, 2006

Ms.Chouette Levee And The Post Too Long

This is a strange conversation I had with a woman on an online atheist discussion list. It is presented here with the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball.

DWLyle,

Recently you wrote an extremely long email about the roots of empathy in the brain. The study you provided backed up what you said, that there is evidence that empathy can be traced physically to the insula between the frontal and parietal lobes. It added a lot to the discussion. In the future, however, could you try to write posts that aren't quite so long? My inbox is full of email, and it takes me forever to get through them all. Thank you!

MsChouetteLevee@care2.com

-----

Dear MsChouetteLevee,

Don't thank me yet, because I think your request is absurd. If you can't keep up with your inbox, that's your problem, not mine. My post was long because it needed to be. I don't know what else to say. Learn to scan.

Darren W. Lyle

------

Dear Mr. Lyle,

I kindly ask that you shorten the length of your posts and you tell me to "learn to scan." Very nice...sort of an asshole, aren't you? I guess I got that vibe from your posts. You think you're so damn smart with all your castaway intellectual references. My request was simple, just do what I ask. Otherwise, I'll report you to the moderator. There are rules to be followed.

------

Dear Unstable French Woman,

Do what you ask, or you'll report me to the moderator? How curious! You're not really asking so much as demanding. And what "castaway" references are you talking about? Do you mean the Tom Hanks movie? Oh, well. Try looking at it like this in the future. When you see a post from me, just imagine that it was twice as long originally, but that I cut the length in half for you. That way, we can both walk away from this ridiculous conversation happy. I can write as much as I want, but from your point of view they'll be half the length. Good enough? Also, don't bother reporting any of this to the moderator, because I'm the moderator. Thanks.

Darren W. Lyle

------

Dear Mr. Lyle,

I'm going to be in Boston on business next month, perhaps we could get together. Sorry for calling you names.

MsChouetteLevee

------

Chouette,

You're very odd, and a bit obnoxious. I think I will have to meet you for dinner. Your treat, of course. Don't worry about calling me an, "asshole." If you get to know me better, you'll come to realize that people swear at me frequently. I'm pretty anti-social these days, so I'll most likely cancel any date or meeting we set up. I'm an enigma.

D'Lisle

------

Darren,

Well, thank you for cutting down on your posts. I'll see you on the list.

CHOUETTE

No comments: