Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Of Vincent Sherman, A Lying Jackass, And Peaceniks


Today, just a dispatch or two from the front, along with a mention of the passing of a fine human being. When you're done reading my 'blog, take a gander at a first-rate website that does a good job at revealing what a lying egomaniac is Bill O'Relly.

If you're sitting out there with a "grant worthy" idea for peaceful social change, check out what the A.J. Muste Memorial Institute has to offer in the way of financial support. Even if you're just looking for information about what's happening in the peace movement, I'd highly recommend the site. They also sell inexpensive essays, in pamphlet form, written by Rosa Luxembourg and David McReynolds. Every time I talk to David, I grow fonder of the human race. I need to talk to him more often. He has a cat named, "Gandalf" who has a very unusual facial expression. If I can find the picture David sent, I'll post it here. By the way, the deadline for the grant proposal is July 21, and it will be acted upon in September.

Congratulations to Greg Pason for setting up a fine campaign for US Senator from New Jersey. My experiences with Greg lead me to believe that I'm not exactly his favorite fellow. But we are comrades in the cause against capitalism and for socialized health care for all, an immediate withdrawal from Iraq, repealing Taft-Hartley and all anti-union laws, and a guaranteed living wage. So in that sense, I love him. And I know as well as any activist how hard it is to get on the ballot in any state, and he managed to pull that off. Again, congratulations Greg. If you can (because I know you are all swimming in the filthy green), give a little to his campaign: Greg Pason for US Senate c/o 92 E. Hunter Ave. #1 Maywood, NJ 07607.

Finally, I'd like to relate the passing of Vincent Sherman, a Hollywood director who took a stand against the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) and the "blacklist." He later directed shows like "Trapper John, M.D." and "The Waltons." Sherman said that he wasn't a Communist, but that he couldn't stand what was being done to people in Hollywood, Communist or not. He paid the price for standing by his principles, and his friends, by not naming people before HUAC. His contract with Warner Brothers was cancelled, with no reason given, in the early '50's. But he survived the Fascist tactics of McCarthy and Cohen and eventually became very successful, working until the late 1980's. He died Sunday at the age of 99.

He stood up against the bad guys and won, living a long and prosperous life. He is even known for having affairs with the likes of Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Rita Hayworth. Three more reasons to admire him. Adieu, Mr. Sherman, you done good.

No comments: