Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Twelve "Mitram," Balls & A Poem

The script on the right was given to me by my dentist a few days ago, and it took me over an hour to figure out what it's supposed to say. At first I thought it was, "Mitram." It's not. I did eventually nail it down, but decided not to have it filled. It's nothing juicy or delightful.

On another note, it's a bad sign when you send a woman a poem and she never says anything about it one way or the other. Passionate hatred would be better than cyber-crickets. The poem, entitled, "The Idea of You" is fairly good in my opinion. I'll cram it in at the bottom of this post.

Still haven't heard about my ball surgery. Ball surgery! Ball surgery!

-D

The Idea of You

Before the flooded bog
on a chill autumn morn
revealed blood-red berries
beneath a broad azure sky

or...

A lush, misty fen
jewel in an Emerald Necklace
drew my eyes from the Boston skyline
and posed endless riddles

or...

A spring Nor'easter
tore away April buds
and thundered like a summer storm
mocking us with flakes instead

or...

Black, hollow jealousy
manifested within and blinded me
made me deaf and hardened my heart
Robbing me of a companion and a friend

Before I experienced any of those, or a million other common spectacles and everyday tragedies

Preceding every blessed milestone; first word, first step, first birthday, first day of school

When there was no me to take you in; no mind to consider our first, lingering gaze in the dark

There was the idea of you

And it was shared by everyone who ever dreamed of getting lost in something uncommon

And now that you are gone, so too is my innocent faith in a promise I thought I heard, but was never made

Now I know that there was a world before you, and a world with you, and despite every weary effort, a world after you.

And a return to the magnificent and common and lonely place where I began, with a hard lesson taught; Nothing lasts forever, and there are no promises.
-DWL

No comments: