Saturday, July 14, 2007

Dispatch From The Front

From what I can see, it's a lovely day outside, weather-wise. I just read an AP article about President Maliki of Iraq, and how he now says that the US forces can go home. He claims that we're not needed in his country any more. In my opinion, it's the most important development in the war since it began. We should leave immediately. We should leave regardless of what Maliki says, but saying that is just...wow.

I'm so sick. The details are unsavory, but it's really uncomfortable. I'm going to seal myself up in my flat and try to shake it, whatever "it" is. I'm dizzy, and find a modicum of relief only when I close my eyes, and that causes everyone to think I'm really tired. And I need to hold my head at a queer angle to stave off hickups that lead to coughing, which leads to the physical manifestations one associates with nausea. I'm starting to think that it has something to do with my altered stomach...something feels askew. I feel drunk and sea sick and have a fantastic headache. This morning I tried taking my last Zomig, which is a very expensive migraine medication. It didn't help. I'm starting to get annoyed because I had plans for this weekend that are getting fucked up. Oh, well...it beats living in South Dakota.

I'm listening to Dvorak's Klavirní Skladby in e-minor and eating a banana. A nap is imminent.

The Idea of You

Before the flooded bog
on a chill autumn morn
revealed blood-red berries
beneath a broad azure sky

or...

A lush, misty fen
jewel in an Emerald Necklace
drew my eyes from the Boston skyline
and posed endless riddles

or...

A spring Nor'easter
tore away April buds
and thundered like a summer storm
mocking us with flakes instead

or...

Black, hollow jealousy
manifested within and blinded me
made me deaf and hardened my heart
Robbing me of a companion and a friend

Before I experienced any of those, or a million other common spectacles and everyday tragedies

Preceding every blessed milestone; first word, first step, first birthday, first day of school

When there was no me to take you in; no mind to consider our first, lingering gaze in the dark

There was the idea of you

And it was shared by everyone who ever dreamed of getting lost in something uncommon

And now that you are gone, so too is my innocent faith in a promise I thought I heard, but was never made

Now I know that there was a world before you, and a world with you, and despite every weary effort, a world after you

And a return to the magnificent and common and lonely place where I began, with a hard lesson taught; Nothing lasts forever, and there are no promises

No comments: