Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Account Of A Full-Blown Tuna Melt

Fucking tuna melt. It was good, but it's gone now, except for the picture to the right. It's more than half gone there, but we still had some good times ahead of us. You can see how well-toasted the bread was, and the sadness on my face as I became increasingly aware that our time together was short. I didn't think it was going to be a very good sandwich when I started making it, and the cheese that made it a "melt" was put on cold, as an afterthought. Little did I know how well the cheese, tuna, mayonnaise and bread would lovingly embrace each other and, simply put, create one hell of a sandwich.

I would like to thank my lover and confidante, Linda, for providing the "club" bread that made this whole endeavor possible. Without it, it's impossible to know what bread I would have had, probably scali bread. Scali bread is wonderful, although it's baked locally in Cambridge and Somerville (different loaves, that is, they never bake a single loaf in both towns) and they don't put any preservatives in it. Sounds great, doesn't it? Well, it's not. I can't eat a whole loaf of bread every day and a half. So as great as scali bread is, I only buy it once or twice a week. So the bread that is carrying the load, as it were, is Pepperidge Farm Very Thin white bread. But Linda brought me over a large loaf of white bread that I thought was going to suck. Obviously, it didn't. It rocked my world, turned night into day, Coke into Pepsi, all that shit. And it was labeled for foodservice only, so Linda apparently has some stories to tell, too. It was very soft and very white.

Incidentally, that's what it said underneath my UMass Boston yearbook picture.

The tuna was shoplifted, but that's a long story. I don't shoplift much these days, having had a good look at what a monumental pain in the ass it is when you have to go to probation. It really is. And probation officers aren't in the business of being nice. They really poop on you. Regardless, I'm fond of Bumble Bee solid white tuna in water.

Got that, assholes?

I'm sorry, I got a little carried away there. The mayonnaise was Cain's, not Hellmann's or Kewpie, and certainly not fucking Miracle Whip. I don't like Miracle Whip on any level; how it tastes, looks, smells, and how it makes me feel when I eat it. Successful, fulfilled people probably never go near the stuff. But who am I to judge.

What else, what else...oh, yes, the cheese was Kraft Deli Deluxe American, because it was in the icebox. And that's it, the story of my sandwich. I shared some of the tuna with Impy, and she insists upon the good, snow-white stuff. Naturally, I try to give her the cheap stuff, or just the tuna "juice." She doesn't go for that. She's a little coal bin connoisseur who refuses to shit in her litter box, and instead prefers going under the basement stairs. If this flat didn't have basement stairs she'd have to actually shit in her box. Life is a game of inches, ladies and gentlemen.

Oh, one last thing. The toaster I used in the making of my tuna on toast that evolved into a full-blown tuna melt was a Toastmaster two slice toaster model TT2CTBB, set on "5." It's hot out, and I'm usually averse to making toast when it goes above 78 degrees (it's complicated and a very strange quirk), but something compelled.

What else is happening out there, worthy of my commentary? I read that they pulled a giant squid out of Australian waters that is the size of a bus, but they didn't elaborate on what kind of bus. Seriously, you can't use "bus" as a unit of measurement. They have huge Willie Nelson buses and small half-size buses that High Schools use for retards. And then there is the VW micro-bus. Either way, it doesn't matter. To me, it's just another reason to stay the fuck out of the water in Australia.

I thought it was amusing that I was figuring out my monthly bills while on the computer, and when I got stuck I spent five minutes looking for a calculator. And then I sat at my computer with a calculator in my hand. I'm an idiot.

Well, I think that's it for this afternoon. I'm not well, this time physically, and I'm a dizzy mess. And last night was just...awful. It could be due to my starting a new psychiatric drug, but I'm skeptical. In any event, I'm going to drink some icewater and try not to throw up or pass out. I'm prone to the occassional seizure, and I'm just waiting for one to happen. It's in the pipe, I can feel it.

That's what she said!

6 comments:

GamerCow said...

A few things. Pep'ridge Fahm bread is indeed tasty, but delicate as a snowflake in June, and therefore, unusable by myself, for I have hands that are not meant for such daintiness, and such breads get crushed like so many BU film students after their first trip to Hollywood. Give me a good potato bread anyday. Did you ever wonder why potato bread didn't taste like potatoes? I have.

Second, easiest way to get to calculator on Windows is: Start button, Run, type in calc and voila.

Third, I like the Miracle Whip now and again, but then again, I like Spaghetti-rings now and again, as we both know. And who ever said I was successful or fulfilled, so your statement may still be accurate.

Unknown said...

That's very true about the bread...it's made for elderly people. I'm fond of potato bread. Oh, yes. I didn't mean to get all high fallutin' about the Miracle Whip and Spaghetti'O's. I live on cheap, bad food for the most part. I eat Salt and Vinegar potato chips, for Christ's sake. For all I know, Bill Gates eats Miracle Whip. Actually, I feel strangely sure he does. So there you go.

Anonymous said...

Great Post. I've never known anyone who eats Miracle Whip. It mistakenly gets mixed into the same arena as mayonnaise but it really isn't. It's as much mayonnaise as it is..something like mustard. They're both sandwich spread...AH Fuck! Damn!

Cristina C. Fender said...

Hey! I lOVE Miracle Whip.

Mmmmm....tuna melt...

P.S. Do you make your bed every day? You're my idol. Can I be like you?!

Unknown said...

Oh, Chica, you don't want to be like me. Yes, I do make my bed everyday, and I guess a fairly clean flat (most of the time). But the rest of me isn't a pretty picture. Instead, I'd rather be YOU. Seriously, can I be you?

Sandwich spread...you are correct, my brother. Anything could be a sandwich spread. Sounds vaguely dirty. Miracle Whip...sounds like something they made and couldn't believe that could get anyone to eat it. A whipped miracle...like Jesus.

No offense to the Miracle Whip eaters like Chica. For all I know I have an unrefined palate. A man who enjoys Cup-O-Soup can't be too critical.

Anonymous said...

Miracle Whip. I remember that. My parents used it when I was growing up. I never knew there was something else until I got married. My husband refused to use it, said it tasted disgusting, so we used Hellman's mayo. Now, I can't stand Miracle Whip. I think my parents were just trying to save money..My son likes Cain's mayo, but I'm not crazy about that either.

As for a tuna melt.. ick.

I love freshly made bread, tho. can be any kind, really.. I just love it when it's still warm and soft.. My favorite bread?? Italian sandwich bread. I can't remember the brand name right now. I don't eat it often, because it is expensive. I love French, italian, Scalia, etc. But not sourdough. Again, my son loves this bread. I think it's got a terrible after taste. Oh well.

Love talking about food.. let's do more of that..