Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hillary Liberates The State Department

It's almost 9:30 in the morning and I'm watching Hillary Clinton's reception at the State Department. She is, of course, the new Secretary of State. It was a wild scene, man. They received her like a liberator. For diplomats and foreign nationals, Bush was the Idiot King. Amazing times.

Some other news from my meager existence.

The Indian girl at the store down the street is cute, and also emits the vague patina of a thoughtful person. I call her the "Indian girl" because she is literally from India and is the daughter of the man who owns the store. We rarely say more than a handful of words to each other, mainly because of my pathetic inclination towards nervousness. However, we did talk a bit about "Slumdog Millionaire."

She tells me that the slums of Mumbai are really that bad, and that Americans need to travel more to see what is happening in the world. "Unfortunately," I told her, "most Americans who travel have a lot of money, and are jerks." The gist is that they are poor representatives for the rest of us.

I regret saying that now, as there are many good Americans traveling about who are engaged in service of some kind. Countless college kids volunteer to bust their asses overseas, or study abroad, and they represent well.

As for me, I filled out many study abroad applications when in college, and had hopes that I'd find myself in some exotic location, preferably with a lot of women around and sans plague. Unfortunately, the University of Amsterdam wasn't taking applications. And besides, I would have fucked it up. One imagines me, a misunderstanding, a car battery and a boob pressed up against bullet-proof glass.

Here's a top 10 list of Secret Service nicknames for Obama:

10. Raven McLeod
9. HNIC (Head Negro in Charge)
8. Stretch
7. Obamaba
6. Gutterball
5. McCool
4. Michelle's husband
3. The Anti-Bush
2. Blackulincoln
1. Hot Chocolate

3 comments:

GamerCow said...

I am very afraid of how the Middle East is going to welcome Hillary. She is a known proponent of Israel, and that does not usually bode well.

Unknown said...

Well, it's consistent with US policy towards Israel since '47. I'm hoping that Obama's admin will be more open to the possibility that Israel is, at times, very wrong. I figure that even Hillary has to be more measured towards Israel and the occupied territories than the Bush people were.

All it would take is a whisper. Just mention that, for example, Israel's response in Gaza was out of proportion to Hamas' use of homemade missiles. We just have to back off our rabid support of Israel no matter what she does. Shouldn't be too hard, but it's a departure.

Interesting times we live in, eh?

On to movies. AC, what are your thoughts on Psycho being called "film noir." I've heard it described that way by two people and it annoys me.

GamerCow said...

I started to post here, but it got out of hand. I put up a post on my blog about it:

http://brewcow.blogspot.com/2009/01/psycho-is-not-film-noir.html