Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Love Hustle

This post is more than just an attempt to be humorous, or a list of complaints, or amusement found in altering a Ziggy picture. For Valentine's Day, I offer a public service announcement, what they call in the business a "PSA." I'm not in that business, but that's what I hear. Whether alone, with someone, or with a bunch of people, this can be a hard day for people to endure. I'm lucky enough to have a woman in my life right now, so this day is about letting her know how special she is. But I also can't help but think of past relationships that didn't work out. So this day is a lovely melange of regret, ennui, cynicism, romanticism, nihilism, and affection. That's quite a schizophrenic combination. Wow!

At this moment I'm listening to Tchaikovsky's symphony no. 4, the one with the really spectacular ending. Well, they all have a really big ending, except for the 6th. It's exceptional, anyway. Very romantic and tragic and sad. So for me, it fits any of my moods. But let's talk about love for a second or two.

Anyway, this is the aforementioned PSA, if you happen to be a rich or attractive heterosexual asshole. I heard about a dating service that caters to "beautiful women and affluent men." You can check it out at Sugar Daddy For Me. If a lady is judged to be an attractive woman, and a man can prove that he makes at least $200,000 to $500,000 annually (depending on age), then they can join. After that, it's just a matter of finding the right rivet for the right hole. Isn't that touching? That level of supercilious bitterness almost is. These people make no bones about being a bunch of douchebags. It may be true that the route to true happiness as a couple is to have no brain cells in the head or romance in the heart. If that's the way it is, I say, "Feh." I propose a toast to love as a hassle, not a hustle.

Whether you have a partner today or not, let me leave you with a bit of poetry from Walter Benton. It's an outstanding poem, and I think I've posted it before, but read it again. It's not sentimental or maudlin. It means something profoud and wonderful. It speaks to a truth. Enjoy.

Walter Benton's poem,

Because hate is legislated . . . written into
the primer and testament,
shot into our blood and brain like vaccine or vitamins

Because our day of time, of hours --- and the clock-hand turns,
closes the circle upon us; and black timeless night
sucks us in like quicksand, receives us totally ---
without a raincheck or a parachute, a key to heaven or the last long look

I need love more than ever now . . . I need your love,
I need love more than hope or money, wisdom or a drink

Because slow negative death withers the world
and only yes can turn the tide
Because love has your face and body . . . and your hands are tender
and your mouth is sweet ---- and God has made no other eyes like yours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's raining outside. I like it because I think it is romantic. I am a beautiful woman. I have not found my prince yet. What do you think of MillionaireMatch.com? I get used to be a member there.