Thursday, March 29, 2007

Reach On Up

There's an enormous black man downstairs right now, his name is Dobie. He's my father's visiting nurse. This is his third visit. He's a very thorough fellow with a good bedside manner and an affable disposition. He speaks at least one more language than I do, and that makes me feel inferior. Then again, he's a nurse and I'm a mentally ill fat fuck, so there's that, too. It doesn't matter though, as I'm used to feeling low about myself. Except when I'm talking to a Republican, that is...especially a Bush supporter. Fortunately, around here that's a rare encounter. Sure, I like to feel superior, but that's too high a price to pay. All of my friends are more intelligent than I, and that's the way I want it. It raises you up. When I'm in the room with a talkative Bush supporter, I feel a black hole of stupidity and ignorance tearing through time and space and putting us all at risk. I should run, but I have yet to do that. I always get sucked into a debate with a person who thinks Jesus spoke English, or that Iraq was behind 9/11.

These encounters are a complete waste of time, something my brother figured out a long time ago. Kent (that's his name) has never hit a person (other than me) that I'm aware of. But if you say something about how Bush is a great president, I'll be all over you. Kent, however, will usually stand silent. If he ever does feel compelled to speak, look out. He turns red, pushes me gently out of the way, and approaches whomever is making an ass out of himself. At that point, people generally back down a bit. Not because Kent is a master of debate, but because everyone gets the vague sense that he is going to beat the shit out of someone. Being my brother, I know that he wouldn't do such a thing. Physically, though, he could...he really could.

If Toulouse, the largest cat I'm aware of, tries to jump into my lap one more time I'm going to pick him up and let him outside, via one of the 2nd floor windows. And now here comes Panther. I just can't keep the pussy away from my lap. La la la.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey. Loved your post...Who's the gal with the kanagroo?? That's a funny pic...
Dobie sounds like the name of a puppet...
Remind me not to piss off your brother.
Linda

Unknown said...

It's extremely difficult to piss him off to violence. He's never laid a finger on another human being, besides me...but that's what older brothers do.

Is this Linda of the Noble Lindas?

Anonymous said...

Indeed, the NOble Lindas of Mass...