Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday Morning And The 12-Pack

Awoke this morning very groggy, probably from taking too many lorazepam too late at night. If memory serves, Linda left around midnight and I returned to my computer to check my email. Nothing of consequence there, but I made my way back to an excellent website about the Triangle Waist Company fire of 1911. It's run by Cornell University's School of Industrial and Labor Relations and can be found here. It's a seemingly rare example of how the Internet can be used to take scanned historical documents, transcripts, testimony, etc. and present them to lay people and scholars, and for free. A lot of the material presented was almost lost, as it sat decaying in various libraries around New York City. Go to this page to read more about that. It's almost as interesting as the tragedy itself. I read about the Cornell/Unite! project in New Yorker magazine (I think) many months ago, and I keep going back to the site.

I've lost 15 lbs in the last month, but I'm still a fat fucker. I was born a fat fuck and a fat fuck I will always be, but the lost weight feels good. I'm bound to get depressed or something and find solace in inactivity and food and gain it back. Or maybe a safe will fall on my head, or an insane Vietnamese midget will sneak into my flat in the dead of night and Crazy Glue my nostrils shut. One never knows.

This morning I went out to pick up the Globe, and while I was out I remembered that I needed toilet paper. I got so self-conscious as I stood in line holding just a 12-pack of toilet paper (they were out of the Globe, and I'd rather set my hair on fire than read the Herald). By the time I got up to the cashier I just wanted to get the hell out of there. So I paid, put my head down, and made for the door. Because I wasn't looking I walked into the "In" door and everyone within 30 feet looked at me. It felt like everyone within 10 miles stopped and stared. And they all got a gander at the fat fuck trying to scamper out of the Stop and Shop without people knowing that he shits. When I got outside, I yelled, "That's right, you fucking pricks, I wipe my ass!"

On the way home, I got a French cruller at the donut shop. Or shoppe, if you'd like. It was smoking a cigarette and wearing a beret...that's what made it French. Ha ha.

Here's a fun fact for everyone. I'm sure you've all heard of the pet food recall. Well, Menu Foods, the company that makes the 95 or so different brands of pet food tainted with rat poison, actually does animal testing on dogs and cats. That is, when they first got complaints about the poisoned food, they gave the deadly food to dogs and cats that they have in a laboratory to see if it was really killing pets. They then euthanized and autopsied the animals to look at the liver, kidneys, etc. How could a compassionate pet owner be relieved to learn that the company making the pet food they use is engaged in vivisection on stray dogs and cats?

Yeah.

No comments: